This lemon and herbal face steam recipe is a wonderfully deep pore cleanser. It is especially beneficial for reducing large pores and for eliminating blackheads. It’s very soothing and pampering to give yourself this face steam once or twice a week, but no more often than that. If you have a dedicated face steaming unit, great, otherwise a saucepan or cooking pot can be used just as easily.
The Benefits of This Herbal Face Steam
The lemon contains anti-bacterial properties and the herbs have a mixture of soothing anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, depending of course on which herbs you choose to use.
The steam works to deep cleanse the pores by gently drawing out inpurites in a way that does not cause damage or scarring.
- 1 qt. (1 litre) of water
- 1 handful of any herb, or mixed of herbs – chamomile, lavender flowers, elder flowers, cloves, caraway, ground star anise, fennel, mint, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, parsley etc
- juice and peel of 1/2 lemon
- Prepare first by tying your hair back out of the way and cleansing your skin to remove all traces of makeup, oil and moisturiser. Put a thick table mat on your dining table to protect it from the heat of the pot and place a towel nearby ready to use.
- Now in the kitchen, put the water into the pot placing the temperature on high. While this is coming to the boil, juice and peel the half lemon.
- Add the peel and juice to the water and cover the pot. Turn down the heat and continue to simmer the lemon and herbs gently for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the lid and before all the steam escapes, take the pot to the table placing it in front of where you will sit. Sit down and drape the towel over your head blocking out most of outside air with the pot sitting under your face. You’ll want the steam to be very warm but not too hot. If it’s too hot it can break the finer capillaries under your skin, so adjust the temperature and your comfort level by letting outside air in under the towel as needed.
- Time to relax and enjoy! Lean your head down a little so it’s about a foot (30cm) above the water. Close your eyes and let the steam cleanse your skin and pores for 10-15 minutes. Try to keep the steam inside the towel so it can do its job of steaming your pores.
- Once the steam stops the face steam has finished. Rinse your face with cold water to close the pores.